Broiling a grapefruit. Yes, it's that simple.
I've had this at a local restaurant, but they use a torch (like for crème brûlée), but i'm a normal person with limited kitchen tools (let's be honest, i don't even have a mixer), so i just broiled it :)
- 1 large grapefruit, cut down the middle
- Optional: 1 tbsp of sugar, brown sugar, agave, honey, etc. Totally optional!
- Turn your oven or toaster oven to BROIL HI.
- Cut your grapefruit right down the middle (not from 'top' to bottom... you want the nice little triangles! I'd also suggest using a small knife to cut along the lines of the trianlges... it's a little harder post broil. But whichever works!)
- Optional: Dust 1tbsp of sugar over the top. This is not necessary, but just adds an extra touch of sweet if you want it! Also, try with agave. DELICIOUS!
- Pop in the oven on a cookie sheet. Watch. Takes about 5-8 minutes, but when the peel starts to get a little crispy, it's time to take it out! Your grapefruit should be bubbling by now, and look like this
Yes. Delicious. DIG IN and ENJOY! This could be breakfast, brunch, snack, dessert, side.... you name it. It goes great for any type of occasion and couldn't be simpler to prep.
I suggest eating out of a bowl, as it's pretty juicy. And there is no judgement if you want to drink the excess juice out of the bowl afterwards. I mean, i didn't do that or anything.....